Cauliflower Ear, also known as Hematoma Auris, is commonly associated with wrestlers and athletes. It occurs when outside portion of the ear endures a traumatic blow. It damages the shape and structure of the outside of the ear. Is cauliflower ear permanent? and how to treat cauliflower ear at home?
According to medical experts, this condition can happens because of multiple reasons.
- Ear skin is stripped away from the cartilage.
- Formation of sinewy tissues are introduced within the skin.
- Large blood clot develops under the skin.
If left untreated, cauliflower ear condition can become permanent and lead to many damaging symptoms. For example, headache, ringing in ear, blurred vision, and et cetera.
Asian Journal of Sports Medicine research revealed that, in the injured area, fresh blood supply is cut. Therefore, it specifically affects hearing ability & increases risk of infection too.
How to Treat Cauliflower Ear at Home
Looking for cauliflower ear home treatment? Well, first it is imperative to perceive whether it is a reversible condition. And, the answer is, ‘Yes’.
This condition is reversible and treatable.
However, ‘Timing of Treatment Matters A Lot’.
Dr. Nicholas Rizzo, Association of Ringside Physicians member, states that cauliflower condition should be treated within 24-48 hours. Since, when you wait longer, the ear cartilage deforms because of lack of blood supply. In case you are dealing with a permanent condition, the only option you have is to consult plastic surgeon to discuss possibilities.
Below are a few ways to treat cauliflower ear at home – immediately.
- Draining The Accumulated Blood… Though, only medical professionals should opt for this method, but if you are in an emergency situation, you can drain the accumulated blood on your own. Apply ice to reduce inflammation and numb the pain first.
Next, pierce the hematoma with needle and syringe. 20-gauge needle is perfect for this operation. It sucks the thick, coagulated blood inside cauliflower ear easily. Draw out the blood slowly and disinfect the area with tea tree oil or alcohol based sanitizer (cotton ball). Lastly, apply pressure to stop bleeding; you can use head wrap as well.
You can follow this detail instruction here.
- Heat a Couple of Garlic Cloves… Do you know garlic cloves can assist in treating cauliflower ear? Well, yes, it’s 100% true. Since, they have anti-inflammatory properties, which reduce the inflammation and tenderness of ear.
You can use this cauliflower ear home treatment if the injury isn’t severe. Heat a few garlic cloves until they are soft. Once they are cool, smash them well. Next, apply it on the affected area of your ear. You can also use a light napkin; hold the smashed clove inside it and rub its juice on your ear twice a day. It alleviates swelling and eases pain.
- Stop The Internal Bleeding… After injury, the first thing you must do is to stop internal bleeding, since it swells the tissue and causes cauliflower ear. There are lots of ways to do that, but the most successful is applying pressure straight away.
All you need is to place the clean and dry cloth on the affected area. Apply gentle pressure on it to stop internal bleeding. Remember, this should be done right after the injury for at least 15-20 minutes. In case it is not possible to keep the pressure; you can also wrap the bandage around your head. It also relieves swelling and stops bleeding.
All these cauliflower ear home treatments can be very effective only if they are done very soon after the injury.
However, after initial care, it is still better to consult a professional physician, as he can assess all the highs and lows and prescribe anti-inflammatory prescriptions too.