The cauliflower ear is almost always caused by blunt force trauma. In the medical term, it is known as ‘Auricular Hematoma’ too. It happens when the cartilage of outer surface of the ear is damaged. How to fix cauliflower ear? Luckily, there are many ways in treating it like drainage & compression.
We all perceive how boxers and wrestlers, particularly bjj fighters are at special risk for this injury. Since, they constantly deal with intense blows that lead to cauliflower ear.
However, the question is, can it be treated?
Before we shed light on this question, first it is pertinent to comprehend that it is not a disease which can be treated by some medicines. It is the deformation of the ear.
It is actually the look that changes as the outer surface of the ear swells and gives it a weird appearance. Though, professional fighters think it is an award that exhibits you have countless blows and tough fights in the rings, but in reality some fighters really want to get rid of it and wish to have the old, natural look of their ear.
So, the answer is, yes, it can be treated. But, it depends on many factors too. For example, there are a few questions that decide whether it is treatable or not (naturally).
- Is there any infection?
- Are there any other symptoms, like headache or ringing in the ear?
- Is it permanent deformity or you are trying to treat it right away after the injury?
- Are you an ideal candidate and in good general health?
Can you seek medical attention promptly?
How to Fix Cauliflower Ear
It can be treated… Allow us to explain it in a few steps and conditions.
- Firstly, and most importantly, the timing of the treatment matters. According to Dr. Nicholas Rizzo, you should treat it within 24 to 48 hours. Since, after this time period, natural ways won’t work. You perhaps need to opt for surgery.
- The members of the Association of Ringside Physicians believe that you can prevent the permanent damage with a few simple steps, if the injury isn’t of extreme kind. Apply ice and use head wrap to exert mild pressure. It reduces the swelling effectively.
- Another simple method to reduce swelling is to take anti-inflammatory medicines. The best time to take them is right after the injury. You can also combine them with the ice and head wrap method in order to have quick results.
- In case you haven’t treated your cauliflower ear in the early stages, the only option you have is otoplasty surgery. It is a delicate surgical process that treats the permanent deformity of the ear. But, it is better to consult a professional doctor first before opting for this option, as he needs to examine the issue and the sensitivity of it in detail.
Cauliflower Ear condition isn’t just for athletes.
It can occur in non-athletes too.
Luckily, it is preventable if picked up early. There are lots of other ways that can assist in treating this issue like drainage and compression.
However, keep in mind, it shouldn’t be done without the consultation of a professional doctor, as they prevent the infection through antibiotics and make sure that your ear is healing in the correct shape as well.